Sat Nam Khalsa, Esq.
Khalsa Law is the law practice of Sat Nam Khalsa. Sat Nam created Khalsa Law to help businesses, families, and individuals plan for the future and deal effectively with the challenges that life throws at them.
Before starting Khalsa Law, Sat Nam worked for several years in the tax controversy and litigation practice at Miller & Chevalier Chartered, a premier Washington, DC, law firm. While at Miller & Chevalier, Sat Nam worked on complex corporate tax cases on behalf of clients seeking to resolve controversies with the IRS. In some cases, the controversies were resolved through the IRS's appeals process; in other cases, the issues were tried in Federal court. In addition to his controversy and litigation practice, Sat Nam gained significant experience with international tax issues as well as with the state and Federal rules governing tax-exempt organizations.
In his tax-exempt practice, Sat Nam has successfully assisted clients obtain Federal tax-exempt status as well as comply with the complex rules that govern Federal tax-exempt entities. Projects for tax-exempt clients have included analyzing tax and compliance issues related to joint-ventures between tax-exempt and for-profit entities; assisting nonprofits establish overseas affiliates and coordinating with foreign corporate counsel regarding entity formation; and counseling clients regarding rules related to fundraising, lobbying, unrelated business income, international activities and donations to international affiliates. Sat Nam has also helped clients navigate state law rules governing nonprofit corporations, from entity formation and the creation of bylaws that reflect the vision and mission of the organization to the various areas of compliance required by the states in which the organizations operate.
Sat Nam has also gained experience in family law and probate through his pro bono work and community activities as well as by taking several workshops and training programs in collaborative divorce, divorce mediation, and the substantive law and procedural elements of estate planning and probate. Sat Nam is a regular volunteer at the D.C. Family Court Self Help Clinic and at the D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program's Probate Resource Center. Sat Nam also sits on the board of a Virginia nonprofit and maintains an active pro bono practice.
A lifelong practitioner of Kundalini Yoga, Sat Nam is a certified Kundalini Yoga teacher and has taught yoga and meditation classes in Northern Virginia. Sat Nam is also a trained coach and has helped coach individual clients towards personal success and fulfillment. Sat Nam brings all of his skills and experiences to bear on his work as a lawyer. Before he began practicing law, Sat Nam helped manage a small family-owned business with multiple retail locations in Virginia and Delaware.
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
- M.A., University of British Columbia
- B.A., University of British Columbia
- District of Columbia
- United States Tax Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- Member, Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Real Property, Trusts, and Estates Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Solo, Small Firm and General Practice Division, American Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Law Practice Management Section, District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Estates, Trusts, and Probate Section, District of Columbia Bar
- Volunteer, D.C. Bar Pro Bono Program, Probate Resource Center
- Volunteer, D.C. Superior Court, Family Court Self-Help Center
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Completed 2-day Team Training in Collaborative Divorce
- Completed Collaborative Divorce Bootcamp
- Completed 40-hour Divorce Mediation Training
- Completed DC Bar Pro Bono Program Probate Resource Center Volunteer Training
- Completed Coach U's Core Essentials Program
- Certified Kundalini Yoga Teacher